Skip to main content

[Ignis - AGON] - "The Destination" by Digvijay Anand

Months after Ignis, AGON, was conducted, we present to you, dear readers, one of the shortlisted fictions sent in by Digvijay Anand, team Dimension_X, from the very Indian School of Business, Hyderabad! Beginning on a sci-fi note, we assure you that there is a pile of brilliant pieces of work waiting in line, in no particular order. We suggest you play Final Fantasy VII - Advent Children score in the background while this story absorbs you. Blade Runner should work equally fine. Happy reading!
_______________________________________________________________________
Hevan, my home, my destiny, my love. The sun is coming up on the horizon. A new day is rising, but night is falling on Hevan's and my future. As I am cruising aimlessly on unending waters of Ocean Dina of Nebry planet, my gaze turns back to my home planet, Hevan, surrounded by dark clouds.
I am a survivor and surrounded by my unit. I am no hero. I am just a soldier. A soldier bound to his duty till death. But I also am a soldier of misfortune because when it came to defend my home, I was proven weak and had to run away like a rat. A sneaky little rat chased away by those who are hellbent on destroying my beautiful home.
I am not sad by my failure but I am sad that I had to leave my homeland and its innocent citizens to their fate. I am worried as I look back while continuing my forward journey on these never ending waters whether I will ever be able to return and prevent the destruction of my homeland. But then it comes to my mind, I do not have a choice.
-
The Cardinal Hall, which until yesterday was filled with daily commotion of ministers, people, bureaucrats and the Royal Armed Guardians or RAGs, was now empty, echoing the clink of boots of Captain Krok. Captain Krok with his arched eyebrows, depicting a tense face, knocked on the Diamond Door of the Cardinal Hall, which led to the room where the High Monarch, First Minister and other ministers used to meet to run the government of the planet. Until yesterday.
Captain Krok entered the room and bowed. As he straightened up, he saw gorgeous, seductive and lethal Vapira leaning on the Chair of Authority. On the chair was someone, with his back towards Krok, who had dreamt his whole life to bring doom to Hevan. No one knew the name he was born with; he was known as The Master. Between Krok and The Master was a huge oval table, in the middle of which was placed The Black Sphere protected by a cage of lasers. Krok looked at it and saw black and mysterious clouds circling inside the sphere. He recently saw the destructive power it possessed.
Interrupting Krok’s gaze and passing a devilish smile, Vapira said, “What’s the update, Krok? Have those sneaky rats been neutralized?”
Krok didn’t have an answer to break the deafening silence which followed that question. For the first time in his life, he had failed his master. He was trained never to fail and indeed he never had. But today was a different day. He somehow had to drag himself to the room to give an update which involved his failure.
When he didn’t answer for a perceivably long time, the Master sitting on the Chair of Authority, in a deep baritone, said, "Captain, should I take this maddening silence as a proof of your miserable and unacceptable failure?" When Captain Krok kept his mum and didn’t reply, The Master thundered, "Captain, I have asked you a question, answer it."
Finally Captain Krok broke his silence and said, "Yes, Master. Forgive me that I have failed. A unit of ten RAGs led by Commander Nuo Reev was able to give us a slip. We had them, but one of them killed himself creating a diversion and helping others to escape. I have sent my units to search for them and kill them. But they have landed on planet Nebry which is a hostile planet for us, so it might take some time for us to find them."
The Master roared again and said, "Enough of your excuses, Captain Krok. You don’t understand how much this failure of yours can cost us." Then taking a deep breath and calming down, he said, "On the eastern part of Nebry lives Marich, the leader of Krashas race. Marich and his race are our supporters and are fierce fighters. Tell him that The Master has asked for his help. Send your best units and find that unit of RAGs within next three days. I do not want anyone ruining my plans. I have waited too long for this. I can’t afford to lose now."
Saying this, he started walking towards the exit chamber when he stopped and said, "Kill everyone but bring Commander Reev alive to me. I have some unfinished business with him." Finishing his sentence, The Master slipped through exit chamber followed by the seductive Vapira and his guards.
Krok was left alone in the room. Looking once again at The Black Sphere, he understood two things. First, next time his failure will not be tolerated and second, this galaxy is on the verge of doom one way or the other. Hardening his heart, he turned around to finish the mission he was assigned to.
-
I felt the land had gone soft with the blood. There was fire all around. The Master was standing on the pile of bodies of innocent Hevanians and laughing, and I, Commander Nuo, was running around helplessly to save fellow citizens and my men. Suddenly, I saw all my men standing in a line and a huge Krasha with a glowing sword standing behind them. I rushed to save them, but the Krasha swung the sword spraying blood of my men on my face.
I woke up with a jerk to realize it was a nightmare, but the one which could become a reality. It was the cool water from a tide of Ocean Dina that was sprayed on my face. I realized that I had not escaped because I was a coward, but because I had to live to fight another day. I have to lead these men and find help to restore freedom of my planet and this galaxy from the tyranny of The Master. Cruising on these unending waters, I have to find my Destination.

_______________________________________________________________________
For more information on Ignis, please visit the competition page on AGON official website.

Popular posts from this blog

"The Symphonies of Silence" by Nikita Vipul

Artwork: "Silence" by Daniela Huhurez “He didn’t utter a word. He was staring infinitely into the space, listening intently while I kept talking animatedly about my mini-adventure with a Rupee Five-Hundred note that afternoon. The angles of his mouth slowly climbed up and settled beautifully into a curve. He was still staring into the space. I knew he was in love.” -Anonymous Listening is an attitude of the heart, a genuine desire to be with another which both attracts and heals. Sadly, we talk too much, listen too little… forgetting the simple fact that we have been given two ears but one mouth. “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn life around.” All because we don’t listen. We have stopped believing in the idea of ‘indulgence’... in the process of getting involved and melting into another person’s realm of existence. H

"Images" by Deblina Das

Artwork: "Mistress of the House" By Shelby McQuilkin ______________________________________________________________________________________________         " ... I waited for some time inside the car feeling nervous because this was the first time after years that I went to someone’s house. I had gladly devoted most of my time to work and  once in a while when the urge for a break became irresistible, I travelled all around the world.  Anyway, I somehow  mustered up the courage and rang the doorbell..... "                     _______________________________________________________________________                                                                                                                                                There was nothing unusual that night when I took the route via which I usually returned from office: The same old apartments, with its exhausted walls breaking off in places, giving in to the daily e

"Beneath the Apple Tree" by Prabhat Ranjan

I looked up above, as I laid Beneath the apple tree, And wondered how nice it'll be, To get those apples for free. But the apples were too high to reach, So all my hopes got lost When suddenly in my mind it came Great Newton's age old thought. That when he sat below the tree As useless as I was, Without any effort, or initiative, An apple did really fall. Newton said that he was the one Who first actually had found That earth pulls the apple towards itself And makes it fall on ground. Having faith in Mr Newton I laid there as I was The  noon  changed to night, (The sky flooded with moonlight) But the apple did not fall! And then I began to doubt If really Newton said it true Or was it for only name and fame To gain his own fortune! Just then from above did fall An apple that made me sicken! For it emitted a chokin' smell And throughout it was worm stricken! Within a flash I speculated That no book has ever mentione