Skip to main content

The Act of Conforming Ft. Illiya Manna


Art by Navya Ismael

I hate suits, I really really do. I would rather wear a saree, although I am not very good at it. My mother has tried innumerable times to teach me the art of draping, and even though most days I look fairly okay while wearing a saree, I have never been fully satisfied with how any 6 yards of fabric looks on me. No point in thinking about sarees today though, we don't get to wear them for most job interviews, so instead, I take a seat on the chair.

The niceties are all done, and I am pulling at the invisible lint in my trousers- of course, they cannot see that. My ponytail is too tight, and my lipstick is just the right shade, and I am not ready for this, but to be honest I don’t think I will ever be ready.

'So, tell me about yourself?'

I want to tell them that I know why this question is asked, I have answered this too many times, but I am not sure if what I say is who I am. I want to tell them about the first time my mother told me about death, and how that word has been the darkest cloud and the heaviest weight every time since. I want to tell them about the huge sunflowers that grew on the front porch of the quarter opposite to ours, and how I plucked them because they were so pretty that I didn't have the heart to let them out of my sight. I want to tell them that I really don't know my favourite colour, but it might be yellow because they remind me of sunflowers and sometimes, sunrises, or sunsets, I am not sure.

I want to tell them about the time when I went up on a stage and sang the only Rabindra Sangeet I knew, twice, because I wasn't scared of the audience and I cried when my father had to force me to step down. I want to tell them that I never really understood Chemistry and that I still have nightmares about the subject exactly once a year. I want to tell them about how happiness was as simple as seeing ponds with lotuses and hydrangeas during train journeys when I was a child. I want to tell them that the first letter I ever wrote was a plea to save my life.

I want to tell them about how I feel at home when I am alone, and always out of place among friends and family. I want to tell them that sometimes I feel that my heart has been reduced to a torn rag because I have left pieces of it with all the people I have ever loved. I want to tell them that if I had a genie, I would ask for a bad memory because forgetting is so much harder than forgiveness, and sometimes I think I cannot live with everything that's in my head. I want to tell them about the number of times I have wanted to stop living, the number of ways I know I could do it, the number of times I have tried, and the number of times I wish I were successful.

I want to tell them that two years back, for a little time I thought life was a tad too short for all that I want to achieve. I want to tell them how obsessed I am with happy endings in books and movies because sometimes I feel that's all the happiness I will ever have. I want to tell them that I have never felt enough- most days lucky, the rest a mistake.

I want to tell them about how five years back a trainer told us how to answer that question. 'Sell yourself. Each line you speak out, you must sell hard.', his words still reverberate in my head.

So, I start speaking- ticking off that checklist in my mind, one by one, until I am done with five and the interviewers smile.

‘This is going good’, I tell myself and give myself a mental pat.

Once I am done with the interview, I step out of the room, take off the suit and mumble to myself, 'damn you, stupid stupid suit'.

 


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Symphonies of Silence" by Nikita Vipul

Artwork: "Silence" by Daniela Huhurez “He didn’t utter a word. He was staring infinitely into the space, listening intently while I kept talking animatedly about my mini-adventure with a Rupee Five-Hundred note that afternoon. The angles of his mouth slowly climbed up and settled beautifully into a curve. He was still staring into the space. I knew he was in love.” -Anonymous Listening is an attitude of the heart, a genuine desire to be with another which both attracts and heals. Sadly, we talk too much, listen too little… forgetting the simple fact that we have been given two ears but one mouth. “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn life around.” All because we don’t listen. We have stopped believing in the idea of ‘indulgence’... in the process of getting involved and melting into another person’s realm of existence. H

"Images" by Deblina Das

Artwork: "Mistress of the House" By Shelby McQuilkin ______________________________________________________________________________________________         " ... I waited for some time inside the car feeling nervous because this was the first time after years that I went to someone’s house. I had gladly devoted most of my time to work and  once in a while when the urge for a break became irresistible, I travelled all around the world.  Anyway, I somehow  mustered up the courage and rang the doorbell..... "                     _______________________________________________________________________                                                                                                                                                There was nothing unusual that night when I took the route via which I usually returned from office: The same old apartments, with its exhausted walls breaking off in places, giving in to the daily e

"Beneath the Apple Tree" by Prabhat Ranjan

I looked up above, as I laid Beneath the apple tree, And wondered how nice it'll be, To get those apples for free. But the apples were too high to reach, So all my hopes got lost When suddenly in my mind it came Great Newton's age old thought. That when he sat below the tree As useless as I was, Without any effort, or initiative, An apple did really fall. Newton said that he was the one Who first actually had found That earth pulls the apple towards itself And makes it fall on ground. Having faith in Mr Newton I laid there as I was The  noon  changed to night, (The sky flooded with moonlight) But the apple did not fall! And then I began to doubt If really Newton said it true Or was it for only name and fame To gain his own fortune! Just then from above did fall An apple that made me sicken! For it emitted a chokin' smell And throughout it was worm stricken! Within a flash I speculated That no book has ever mentione