Skip to main content

The magic in the mundane Ft. Aparna Priya

Today after a series of long speeches, I have finally managed to wake up early. I can’t really guess whether it would be a good day for me, but I see the beaming faces of my parents and I know, I have already made theirs. It’s too early for me but I had promised my parents last night. So, I step outside with them to see the magic they always talk about.

It is a beautiful spring morning. The Sun has just risen above the horizon. Oh, and the abstract painting it has made from its rays on the sky is beyond description. After a long walk, I sit down on the grass.

Something glittery catches my eyes. ‘Has someone dropped their ring?’, I think to myself. I wipe my fogged eyeglasses and look carefully. Alas! It is just a dewdrop sitting peacefully on the tip of a grass strand. I wonder if precious things like dewdrops came with a price tag attached, would they be the king of all other stones? Diamonds and rubies can never beat the calmness of a shining dew.

Just beside the dew, a tiny bug struggles to climb up the long leaf which is smaller than the length of my palm. I remember the times how I throw a tantrum if the lift doesn't work for a day.

Not far from me but a little away from the bug is a hard-working earthworm. I see that it is covered with soil particles. The dews are not just sparkling like diamonds on the grass strands, they have also nourished the thirsty land. The small patch of semi-clear land between the carpet of green grass is the home of our earthworm. The land is moist which reduces the labor of the earthworm to loosen the soil for its home. I wonder how I hardly ever appreciate all the handy tools that make my work easier.

I lift my eyes to the horizon, and I see the tiny particles of dust sparkling in the filtered sunlight. A gust of breeze increases their pace. In that moment, I feel like I am witnessing an entire galaxy- the dust particles are the stars in my galaxy. I wonder how I have been unbeknownst to their very existence all the times I was running late for my morning classes on a lazy day.

A musical chirping sound catches my ears. To continue with the lovely movie that I have been watching, my eyes follow the direction of the sound. On a tree, a mother sparrow is talking to her three babies. ‘And like every other mother in the universe, she must be giving the babies a set of instructions.- How to be safe when I leave out in search of food!’, I chuckle to myself. After a minute she indeed flies away and the babies hide themselves under the dry husks. I wonder how I always considered my parents' care to be restrictions. ‘These baby sparrows are more  responsible than me.’, I murmur to myself.

I feel a hand on my shoulder. ‘Let's go’, my mother says. "To be continued...", I think to myself as I rise from the ground. On the way back home, my father enquires whether I saw the magic they talk about.
‘Yes!’, I whisper to him with a huge smile. 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Symphonies of Silence" by Nikita Vipul

Artwork: "Silence" by Daniela Huhurez “He didn’t utter a word. He was staring infinitely into the space, listening intently while I kept talking animatedly about my mini-adventure with a Rupee Five-Hundred note that afternoon. The angles of his mouth slowly climbed up and settled beautifully into a curve. He was still staring into the space. I knew he was in love.” -Anonymous Listening is an attitude of the heart, a genuine desire to be with another which both attracts and heals. Sadly, we talk too much, listen too little… forgetting the simple fact that we have been given two ears but one mouth. “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn life around.” All because we don’t listen. We have stopped believing in the idea of ‘indulgence’... in the process of getting involved and melting into another person’s realm of existence. H

"Images" by Deblina Das

Artwork: "Mistress of the House" By Shelby McQuilkin ______________________________________________________________________________________________         " ... I waited for some time inside the car feeling nervous because this was the first time after years that I went to someone’s house. I had gladly devoted most of my time to work and  once in a while when the urge for a break became irresistible, I travelled all around the world.  Anyway, I somehow  mustered up the courage and rang the doorbell..... "                     _______________________________________________________________________                                                                                                                                                There was nothing unusual that night when I took the route via which I usually returned from office: The same old apartments, with its exhausted walls breaking off in places, giving in to the daily e

"Beneath the Apple Tree" by Prabhat Ranjan

I looked up above, as I laid Beneath the apple tree, And wondered how nice it'll be, To get those apples for free. But the apples were too high to reach, So all my hopes got lost When suddenly in my mind it came Great Newton's age old thought. That when he sat below the tree As useless as I was, Without any effort, or initiative, An apple did really fall. Newton said that he was the one Who first actually had found That earth pulls the apple towards itself And makes it fall on ground. Having faith in Mr Newton I laid there as I was The  noon  changed to night, (The sky flooded with moonlight) But the apple did not fall! And then I began to doubt If really Newton said it true Or was it for only name and fame To gain his own fortune! Just then from above did fall An apple that made me sicken! For it emitted a chokin' smell And throughout it was worm stricken! Within a flash I speculated That no book has ever mentione